Barry's Best Computer Tips is updated often; the easiest way to get your regular dose is by subscribing to our news feed. Stay on top of all our updates by subscribing now via RSS or Email.
Most of us will be tightening our financial belts in the face of our sagging economy. Why not figure out a family or individual budget the fun way? Check out this flash-based interactive budget calculator that takes your monthly take-home pay and creates a slick pie-chart of suggested allocations.
POP Download Support for ZohoMail
You can download your @zoho.com emails over TLS in email clients of your choice. The required configurations are
Incoming server name - pop.zoho.com (995 port)
Outgoing server name - smtp.zoho.com (465 port)
Zoho Mail also supports Offline mode. This means you can access your email when not connected to the internet. Like Zoho Writer, this functionality is built using Google Gears.
To use Zoho Mail in offline mode, you'll notice the 'Setup Offline' link on the top. You'll need Google Gears installed on your browser (IE & Firefox are supported currently) to use offline support. Once you permit access, your mails will be accessible offline. You can choose to download images & attachments as well in the offline mode
Zoho Mail automatically detects your connectivity and switches to online/offline modes seamlessly. While offline, you can respond to your emails as you would normally. When you go back online these emails will be sent out from your Outbox.
Customize "From" address for your ZohoMail Account
If you have forwarded emails of other mail accounts to your ZohoMail account, or if your ZohoAccount is part of an email alias and you would like that email Id to be listed as your "From" address along with your ZohoMail account, this is what you need to do,
1. GoTo Settings->Common Settings->My Preferences
2. Under "Account Details" -> Click on the "Add another email address" link
3. You will be prompted with a dialog box, where you will need to enter the "Display Name" and "Email Id" -> The Display Name will be the name part of the email Id that is going to be added.
4. Once you click on "Send Verfication" , a mail with a confirmation code will be sent to the "Email Id" that you have added in Step 3.
5. Upon receiving the "Verification email", copy the confirmation code and enter it in the ZohoMail settings page.
6. If Step 5 is successfull, the new email id will also be listed as your "From" address in the ZohoMail composer.
ZohoMail as default mailto application
If you would like to set ZohoMail as the default application for sending mail, this is now possible if you are using Firfox 3.0.x version. So, how do we do this.
1. Login to ZohoMail
2. Type the following in the browser address bar,
3. Click "Add Application" when prompted from browser.
4. Now if you go to Tools -> Options -> Applications of Firefox and search for "mailto", Zmail will also be listed as an mailto application, where you will have the option to set/change your default mailto application.
Opera Link: Now lets you synchronize custom Search engines and typed History too. So any website address you typed in one computer will be available in all your other computers.
CheckFeed Preview: Click on the feed icon and you will see it in a clean and efficient layout especially formated for your window size. This makes it easier to see the feeds content before subscribing to it or even bookmarking it for quickly viewing what's new in a page without distractions.
CheckSpeed Enhancement: Go on, surf around, you'll notice the Web is snappier in Opera 9.6 with faster page loading than previous versions.
CheckLow Bandwidth Mode: Now the mail client reduces data downloads as much as possible so you can check your mail faster when you are on the move. Enable it in your account properties and enjoy a faster email experience.
CheckFollow Threads: Keep your eye on important discussions by right-clicking on one of the emails and selecting Follow Thread. All related emails will now appear under the Followed Thread view in your Mail panel.
CheckIgnore Threads: Not really interested in the American Idol discussion your co-workers have going on? Just right-click on the email and select Ignore Thread. Past and future emails from this thread will now skip your unread view.
Automatically reduce the size of photos for email, IM, blogging and web galleries!
Today's high resolution digital cameras produce multi Megabyte photos. These are great for printing but cause a heavy burden when sending over the Internet.
Shrink Pic allows you to send dozens of photos as email attachments - quickly and with no effort at all!
All you need to do is install Shrink Pic. It automatically detects when you're sending large photo files and compresses them in the background.
There's no setup, no operating instructions, nothing, nada. Just send your photos normally and Shrink Pic takes care of shrinking them.Shrink Pic
DeskTask connects to Microsoft Outlook and displays your calendar and task items on the desktop.
* Your tasks will always be visible, saving precious time to launch or switch to Outlook.
* Just minimize every window, and see what are the items due for today or tomorrow.
* DeskTask displays the whole week so you can be prepared to organize your work.
* Besides the calendar items, the Outlook to-do list (Folder Tasks) is also displayed. If you work with Outlook, DeskTask is for you.